Wednesday, February 3, 2010

thank you

from one funeral to another...
My husband's co-worker was shot and killed last Thursday. His funeral was today. This evening, they held a memorial procession through Gilbert, AZ to the Police Department, where a small memorial service was held for the community and for people like me (with sick kids) who didn't attend the funeral. All along the streets of Gilbert, people came out and waved flags and held 'thank you' signs. My husband said he cried the whole way in his cop car. Oakleys hid tears well. No wonder ALL cops wear them. It was really beautiful to see the support and love of this town for their police (even thought they may be forced to cut their pay). I found my husband at the memorial and we stood together and listened to the words and music. Afterward a Mother who had walked to the memorial with two small children in a wagon came up to my husband. Her daughter held out a small American Flag to Chris and mom said "say thank you". It is just my imagination but I think she was looking at me as well.
A friend taught me once to pray for the spouses of our government leaders. I have taken that a step further to pray for my church leaders wives and police spouses along with my Presidents wife and government leaders spouses. Those are the support for people who do tough jobs and make difficult decisions. Its hard enough out in the world, these people need to come home to a family who understands long days and frustrated conversations about work. I pray for wives who will tell their husbands to do go no matter the cost and who won't leave them for the price they pay in their time.

Thank you Officer Eric Shuhandler for your life served protecting ours. And thanks to the Shuhandler family who lent their loved one to us long enough to make a difference.

1 comment:

Sharalea said...

beautiful & touching Jenny! Sorry for the loss of your friend & his family who are missing him the most. Just heartbreaking! :(

Thanks for the reminder about the power of prayer & who needs them.

Loveyou!