Thursday, February 4, 2010

A life lesson

"Why am I still alive?" I've heard the question more than once, but then I've worked in Geriatrics and have Grandparents who live exceptionally long lives.
My Grandfather just died after living 97yrs.
I've pondered those last years that seem to drag on for some. I wonder at others who try to end it prematurely. I'm not sure the Lords time frame but I have seen that there are things learned at every stage that make me conclude that I hope to live to a ripe old age. Here are a few age appropriate nuggets of wisdom.
A 6 yr old learned that oatmeal on a road trip can be more fun and yummier than McD's.
A 36 yr old learned that taking your little sister with you on your date wouldn't have been the end of the world and now regrets not doing it. (Hey, it may not be too late!)
A late 40's learned that while in twenties, you may have wished you could go back and do it over better, you really don't want to go back and do it again.
A 50 something learned that it's OK to change your mind about careers and try something else.
A 70 something learns it's never to late to change your heart and your ways
At 97, all faults are over looked, just living and being there for family is a great purpose and being there for that long is a great accomplishment!

No comments: