Saturday, February 7, 2009

Let's talk about socks, Baby!

You know the old joke about dryers eating socks? Its not true! Yes, I know-stop the presses!
Do you want to know where your lost socks go? They find their way to my house. So many times, when I sit down to fold my laundry, I'll pull out a sock and have no idea where it came from. Since I'm the only clothes shopper for our family (Except for Chris, but he only shops @ Cops-R-Us!) I recognize all the socks and just how long ago I'd bought the batch. I can date them because of how many holes have been stitches up in them.
So when I find a new one, I have to think back to who was at my house in the last couple of days. Babysat kids? Neighbors? Maybe it was one of the boy's friends. Some look to big to be my boy's sock but to small to be Chris'.
Just the other day I found a pair of chocolate brown socks that fit Mackay's tiny toes. Since it matches his Sunday corduroy pants I'll claim them, but I can't help but think someone will recognize them from their missing laundry. Joy, are they your sons?
I'm sorry anyone out there who keeps missing socks, if I could I would return them to you but since I have them, I will just wish that socks got lost in pairs.

5 comments:

Sharalea said...

I say we start a new trend of mis-matched socks. Red + blue. White + grey. Black + green.

I'm for it.

Pack of Robinsons said...

Good idea! Or a sock exchange: "come make a match!"

marlenegetsmail said...

I think it's a conspiracy. All the water that goes down the drain must be plumbed to go by your house. I'll start sending things via the wash water. Love Mom

paynejandj said...

Nope, sure don't (or didn't) have any chocolate brown socks.


Did you ever see the Arthur episode about the "Sock Market"? The sock exchange rate fluctuates quite a bit. Right now it is down... which should mean I have less random mismatched socks. I suppose that is true since I have decided to never again darn a sock and I have been using them instead as dish rags that I can just throw away guilt-free when they get really stinky.

Marily said...

That's so funny. I'll let you know next time we're missing some. :) I've done laundry and come up with a couple of socks with bows on the ankles. Somehow I didn't notice those going into the laundry, just coming out. They definitely didn't belong at our house.