Monday, October 27, 2008

Meet Bob Sturgiss

Bob Sturgiss is one of my neighbors. He and his wife, Rita are the original owners of their home which must have been built around 1976 when my home was built. I imagine they payed around the cost of an Accord for their home then. Every morning Bob takes a walk through the neighborhood wearing his turquoise polo, a sensible hat to keep off the ever present sun, and a set of head phones. Sometimes in the winter he wears more layers but the turquoise color shows through. I wonder what he is listening to. Is it NPR, golden oldies or does he jam out in his head to rock n' roll? Sometimes we chat when he walkes by and sees me fighting a losing battle with my weeds. His yard is imaculate and he works hard to keep it so. If I ever get past fighting weeds, I'll hope to have a BHG (Better Homes & Gardens) yard like his.
I can almost tell time by his morning walk. If he passes my house and I'm not finished with my workout, (or weed pulling) I'm going to get behind in my day. Bob retired from the Military some years ago and is still active and sharp. Its a nice feeling to have him in our neighborhood, kind of 'Leave it to Beaver' like. My family and I have been here three years now and hope to be great neighbors like Bob & Rita.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

you know, I remember being in elementary school, and seeing older people outside walking in the morning, or watering their lawns or something.. and I was always so envious of them. Cause there I was on my way to school (like a sucker), and they were having a lovely morning. Those are the times I wished I was old and retired. But only those times.

marlenegetsmail said...

Life is nice as an Senior Citizen. NO schedules or appt esp.
My parents, wear the same thing.Dad wears the same shirt and pants all weak. Mom does change twice, sometimes matching sometimes not. Sometimes shoes are on the wrong feet. However, your life is what you make it and the rewards are based on what you did when you were younger. so , Live it while you can, We are sometimes lonely and board. A walk around the block is that highlight of the day. Love Mom

Kristyn said...

That's true, Marlene, that the rewards are based on what you did when you were younger. Our neighbor has Alzheimer's, and he's bored out of his mind. It's so sad. (We talk to him but he tells us crazy stories with swearing and about using guns on people, they're weird stories, anyway...) I think it's so sad to have your reward be your life at that point, but then not being able to even remember that life. That is such a sad disease. I think I would want my eyesight or hearing to go long before my mind.

And Jenny, you guys are the BEST neighbors.

And even if you weren't, Chris has a gun to make sure they don't ever talk smack on you.

Pack of Robinsons said...

Kristyn, I completely agree but I think my mind is already going... to late. I worked with people with Alzheimer's and my heart ached for their family. Jenny