Monday, October 20, 2008

Meet Alice Roston

New Week. New Spotlight.
I'd love for you to meet Alice, I'd love to meet her myself but we can't 'cause she's dead. I came across her name while doing some family history work (a.k.a the Temple) and all the info there is about her is that her name is Alice Roston and she was born abt. 1816. It made my heart ache for her. The idea that she lived and died with no more than an 'about 1816' date is haunting. If she knew how to read and write, could she afford a journal to record her life. Wasn't there even a family Bible with christening dates, marrages, children, etc. No diary, letters, blog, or e-mail to give us a glimpse into her life and feelings. Did she enjoy the accomplished feeling of doing dishes like I do, or did she hate the chore because the wooden utensils gave her splinters and the well for water was far from her wash bucket? Did she fall in love, marry and have 12 babies? Did any of her babies survive?
When I sprawl out on my bed at night and write in my journal, I sometimes wonder what my granddaughter may think of mothering in the 21st century. In the back of my mind I think I'm always writing with the idea that it will be read by someone someday. What could it have been like for Alice? We may never know. Poor Alice. It inspires me to keep better records of my life. I'm just vain enough to want my existence to mean something and to be remembered, amd just hopefull enough to think it might help someone in the future.

5 comments:

Sharalea said...

Awesome.
So you keep a written journal as well?

I have several written journals but lately have done better on the computer. I am taking a "personal history" class online through BYU that has really opened my eyes to the importance of keeping a journal.

Keep it up! :)

Pack of Robinsons said...

Yea for journals! Kristyn challenged me to write every day in August and while I slacked a bit, I found the habit great and that I didn't run out of ideas to jot down! -Jenny

marlenegetsmail said...

One time Jenny, I went through the temple for a sister, spanish name but one I could pronounce. She was there! I turned around and looked behind me as I was at the vail and felt movement of someone walking toward me and then stand behind me. It made my day and hope it made her's. Love ya MOm

Anonymous said...

Jen I think about this kind of stuff a lot. Like people who lived a few hundred years ago, in some far away country, where they died very young. They didn't have any experiences that we've had, and probably didn't do very much... so what was the purpose of their lives..you know? Just something I think about.

Jenny said...

Peggy, I think about that too. I think just the chance to breath, feel dirt under your feet, get a kink in the neck, and get to wear a t-shirt saying "I've lived on Earth" is enough.