Thursday, April 2, 2009

It doesn't add up

While waiting for my sons to finish their Karate class, I shared this treat with my daughter Hailey and son, Mackay. I don't usually look at the nutrition facts on things that I eat, it's a waste of calories but since we had time...
We had bought a snack pack with three cookies in it. Don't you love the clouds on the box, "oh look these float on clouds, they must be light"! It declares the serving size is just one cookie- yeah right!- and gives the information for that one serving. But it also gives the info for three which we all know is what I'd really be eating if I wasn't with my children. The information as follows:
Calories for 1: 120 for 3:370
Fat 1: 50 3:160
Sodium 1: 5% 3: 16%
Fiber 1: 6% 3 17%
Now help me out here my mathematician friends, Marily and Julie, how does 50 g of fat for one change into 160 for 3? Is this why they warn us about high fructose corn syrup? Its increasing exponentially. Wow, I thought I lacked in Math. Or could it be the sodium alginate, tricalcium phosphate or sodium acid pyrophosphate. This is why I don't read labels!
Because of this experience, I now buy several packages of chocolate chips at the store. If I'm going to have a treat, and I am, I'm making it my self. My cookies are as good as veggies when compared to these treats and I have several cookies that taste just as good with whole wheat in them. Any one have a receipe for homemade oreos?

5 comments:

Kristy said...

I don't have a recipe for Oreos, but I'd love your "healthy" cookie recipe! I wonder if the bonus fat and calories is from the guilt of eating the whole package....not that that would stop me.

Jenny said...

guilt fat... oh that would double the fat on so many snacks! That would be terrible. Definitely going to stop reading the labels.

Anonymous said...

I get my receipe for homemade oreo's online. And they're soooo goood! Homemade oreo's are my favorite type of cookie in fact. Now you know.

Jenny said...

wow, Peggy-real dirt on you!

Marily said...

Maybe it's because opening the package you burn 10 calories, and then after you eat one you have two more left in the pack without the exertion of opening it again.