Thursday, April 9, 2009

Airing dirty laundry

Our dryer is out. And my wonderful, overly busy husband will fix it... Until then, we have been hanging everything out to dry. This is a frugal way to save; cloths last longer, are brighter and the energy expense is smaller without that large appliance.
But I have also noticed everything being washed, and so the Laundry Flow Analysis began! Somewhat more intense than an audit from the IRS, I dissected every family members laundry use. It sounded something like this:
"Boys, I have noticed that you each wear a pair of socks 6 days a week. That would result to 12 pairs, or 24 socks a week, but I haven't washed any of your socks yet. It makes me wonder, where are you spending your socks?"
"Hailey, you have worn 5 outfits before lunch on Tuesday and 3 on Wednesday. You have an outfit spending problem and you need to cut back before you become bankrupt!"
"Mackay, I see room for growth in your laundry. Bigger cloths are much easier to hang out to dry after all."
"Chris, I have washed nine kinds of blacks and navy blues. You need to diversify your laundry and I have set forth a portfolio of ideas I'd like to see you in. Please see the tab labeled button down, cotton shirts."
"Jenny, your biggest laundry problems result in stains from others. You can build a nest egg of cloths as a cushion against messy times-or just wear a smock around your kids."
"Jango, because we can not wash fast enough to keep up with you, you must become house trained immediately."
With these easy ideas, your family will cut down in laundry waste, build your portfolio and come out looking good!
With our eyes open to just how much dirty laundry our family of 7 makes, we are polishing our best clothes and NOT buying anything more for Easter. We have enough of everything and really, will be happy to just have clean, pressed clothes for Sunday. Look for us wearing our "normal best" on Sunday and a little more $ in our savings account.

Side note: I do long for the day when I can step out of the shower and dry off with a soft towel that wasn't standing stiff in the corner.

6 comments:

Kristy said...

I love your outlook on life - so positive. I'm afraid of my laundry audit....I'd have to count Maxx's deficiency of underwear. I hope you know that my dryer is yours anytime you need it - my washer too if it would be easier to wash and dry at the same location. I hate it when my friends use crusty towels!

Sharalea said...

In Portugal I got quite used to wearing clothes that had been hung out to dry. Now I am spoiled again & I complain that our dryer takes too long to dry...

THanks for your wit & fun with the bumps along the way, I hope yours gets fixed soon!

paynejandj said...

Jenny I just loved this! It totally made me giggle. Did you know I hang out most of my clothes? For all of the previously mentioned reasons. It makes me feel so earth friendly.

Pack of Robinsons said...

We certainly would not want to contribute to the growing "climate change" dilemma. - Chris

Vic said...

I love the feel of sun dried clothes - I actually like putting on Levi's that are stiff etc. And while I would consider drying clothes in the dryer just to spite the climate change people, I like feeling like a saved some change by not using electricity.

Jenny said...

Vic, I agree with you on the jeans. Joy, yes, you have mentioned it a handful of times, (but with the way I forget plants, I'm not surprised that you wanted to remind me again). You have to give me your secret to soft towels. They never seem stiff when I come to visit. A friend suggested letting the kids use them first, but that doesn't really sound clean in my house.