Thursday, September 16, 2010

the 90 & 9

So Jack was the first to say it, and but of course! He's the only child in our house who has been an only child.
"Mom, I feel like you love her more than us."
I almost felt comforted knowing at least it was out in the open. Coming from Jack, I know that what he is really saying is that 'one more person is taking mom's precious time away from me'. I am glad to have this discussion so early in the game-I'm pretty sure he wanted to say this when Grant was born but didn't have the verbal skills at 18months old. And then Grant got to be so much fun for him, why complain?
So I tried to assure him of my never-ending love (opposite of - for a limited time patience) and then found a moment to preemptively ask my other kids if they felt the same way. The kids are needing to step it up more, Jack went through math flashcards with Hailey while I changed diapers, but this is so good for all of us. Especially Ashley. Stepanie, as always, your comments are so helpful. I don't think I really realized what you were going through. And I think I assumed that since you signed up for this that it was all peachy. (How silly that logic seems now when I realize I longed to be a mother and it was still a pain at times)
But Jack has a birthday tomorrow and I am trying to making him feel as loved as he should be by making his favorite-cheesecake! If Jesus can leave the 90 & 9 for his one sheep, Jack can have his cake and eat it too!

4 comments:

paynejandj said...

Great post! Happy Birthday Jack (thanks for the reminder Jen). We love him too!

Stephanie Briggs said...

i think when you have a baby the other kids in the home have 9 months or so to prpare for thebundle of joy to come. the build up of excitment is fun for them and probly a relief when the day comes for the baby to come home. they have time to develop a bond and become protective of their new baby. but in your case it kind of is just dropped in thier lap. it will take them time to figure out how this new adventure will effect them and how they feel about it. its always good to show your kids selfless charity and lead by example.

Jenny said...

stephanie, that's such a good idea. If we haven't been serving each other before, we certainly are now. they will need to do such much more for each other

Jenny said...

Steph - just found out Ashley's mom is actively contesting the removal now (not doing what CPS tells her to, just contesting it.) Also, her dad is signed up for visits every week.
-Chris