Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Terroism and Terror

According to 'Quia' the top five US cities for public transportation are: Portland, Washington D.C, San Fransisco, New York, and Chicago. Having used two of those systems, I'm quite excited for Phoenix to have a light rail! May it be as helpful as we taxpayers hope for! For it's Grand Opening, they had a few days of free rides so some friends and I decided to take our kids while they are on 'Holiday' from school.
Chris commented in his loving way; "I know this is silly, but mass transit is a big target for terrorism so please keep your eyes open!" "You're right" I agreed. "You are being silly!" I actually do agree with him but traveling with kids gives me more to worry about than terrorism. ( I not asking to be blown up, but if your gonna-let me be with my kids when it happens)
Today the thing I most fear in public transportation actually did happen. Hailey got on the train with out me! We'd had a fun adventure into Tempe and were on the platform with 15 kids amongst three moms. Because it was so crowded, we had tried to squeeze on the train and when we couldn't all fit on, we got back off. All except Hailey. It took me 2.5 seconds to realize what happened and then I started pounding on the manual release button on the outside of the door. At the same moment, people inside pushed their manual release and with a little mommy muscle, we got the door open and out came a crying Hailey. The train hadn't even moved, but we hugged and cried at the sheer idea of the experience. Funny to happen after all those years of traveling public transit in the past.
In all, I give our new light rail a thumbs up. The boys loved it, but I have promised Hailey that we won't ride again untill the hype has settled and it is less crowded.
P.S. Thank you to whoever kept their eyes open for true terror and let my Hailey out!

4 comments:

Sharalea said...

WOW.
YAY for public transit, and double-yay for being able to get Hailey off the tram before it left! Scary.

Your story reminds me of President Uchtdorf's talk about hope during Gen. Conf. He told a story about his mother losing 4 kids at a train station during WWII. TERRIFYING.

Glad everyone is ok!

Pack of Robinsons said...

I was wide awake for that story! It still brings emotions to the surface just thinking of that story. Come ride it sometime!

marlenegetsmail said...

Wow, I didn't know it was up and running. It can be great system if everything works out smooth. Good luck. Mom

Kristy said...

Hey, thanks for letting me into your blogging world. I'm excited to follow your blog. How scary to "lose" Hailey!