Monday, December 22, 2008

Earl K Lulloff

Brother Lulloff was my sister's best friend's father. He passed away December 13th because of caner. My sister Joy lives in Albuquerque and could not attend the funeral, so I went to represent her and our family and give the Lulloff's our love and condolences. Earl Lulloff was a veteran of Vietnam. His young wife, Susan Lulloff received a telegram informing her that her husband had been wounded, and because of his wounds he became a paraplegic. After the war, they adopted five children and now have 12 grandchildren.
As I watched a video montage of parts of his life, I saw a young Brother Lulloff that I had not known growing up. I can not imagine losing some of my freedom fighting for some one else.
I've read that each time the last survivor of a war dies, it is the end of an Era. Albert Woolson, the last known Union soilder of the Civil War died in 1956. Frank Woodruff Budles is the last male soilder of WWI, but the last update did not have a death date(The first female soilder was WWI and she died last year). Our WWII veterans are considered the 'Greatest Generation" and their numbers are dwindling. Each war has its veterans and its era. For some reason, having them amongst us makes me feel safe. I'm not sure I can describe it, it's not that they could stand up and fight, but that we are reminded to be humbled by our blessings of freedom and have tangible evidence why we still have that freedom. Society cannot forget while they are around.
I'm sorry for the Lulloffs, and thankful to Brother Lulloff.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oooh this post gave me the chills. jenny you're writing speaks to me!!!

Pack of Robinsons said...

so, my writing 'writes' to you? Thanks Peggy! Take care of Mom and Dad! Love ya, Jenny