Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Meet ?

I saw a woman at my church the other day (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) who seems really interesting. I've noticed her before with fabulously dramatic taste in clothes and style. Yesterday she wore a leopard print form fitting skirt, the kind I would love to own but might never get the courage to wear. She has beautiful blond hair that is twisted and styled different each Sunday. She wears long earrings that would be so fun to wear until my 10 month old ripped then out of my ears.
Most of my friends are Moms like me. We have kids the same age, or husbands who are in law enforcement together. We may have worked on a committee or done service together, and we are comfortable with each other. I started to think of this 'unique' woman and how to introduce myself. What if we have nothing in common? What if I have nothing interesting to say? Do I pull the "I lived in NY" card, to seem more exciting? I can see it now; "Hi, My name is Jenny, I lived in Brooklyn once, do you want to go shopping"? Um, maybe not. My kids think grown ups don't need friends but I value my friends and view strangers as friends I haven't meet yet. So maybe some day I'll get up the courage to introduce my self. Maybe I'll just hand her a note in church that says 'Do you want to be my friend?' Check the box Yes or No. I'll tell you what she says.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jen, I do the same thing. Sometimes I see a girl in church or something, and for some reason I just want to be friends with her. Isn't it so weird that some people you're just drawn to more than others. I'm glad it doesn't stop when you get older. I'm sure she'll check yes.

Vic said...

My dear sisters, you are among the more amazing women that I know. And just like our Mom, everyone I know that meets you, respects and admires you, and wants to be your friend. I hope you will give as many people that opportunity as possible.

I am SO happy to count you among my friends.

marlenegetsmail said...

I have always thought having daughters and now daughters-in-law was like built in friends. And its true.LOVe ya Mom