Friday, March 18, 2011

Let us review

I went to my first Foster Care Review Board today. At this meeting a group of people waste little time and even less space going over each foster child's case to ensure that child is currently getting the best care possible. In a tiny room; Her case manager, her parents, foster mom-me, an officiator, and a panel of four neutral observers. (I'm not sure where these people came from, definitely a jury pool somewhere) We went around the room stating our connection to Ashley and why she is in care. It seemed so awkward to discuss everything with her parents in the room. On my turn, I wasn't quite sure what they needed to hear but I felt it was important that they know she had two teeth now. She is mastering crawling, loves her 'siblings', smiles at everyone, eats baby food wonderfully and loves to wear it in her hair. She sleeps through the night (blessed little girl), has had her 6 month shots and is the happiest baby ever.
Her parents talk of their progress and desire to get CPS out of their lives and have their daughter home with them.
And I know in the end, there will be heart break for someone.
Her parents thank me for taking such good care of her and express their desire to have me in her life after they get her back, and I smile and wonder how hard it would be to abruptly move to Mexico with her.
We still do not know how this will end. I want to inform the court that they need to make up their minds quickly before it becomes too painful for Ashley and I, but I know this will do no good. So we'll wait for the next court date. May. A great month for weddings, and severance.
Is it still worth it?
Yes.
My niece died when she was almost two and has already affected my life and others for good.
Can't 6 months with Ashley be likewise.

5 comments:

Jamie said...

It's never easy is it! So worth every life you can affect for good though.Hang in there.

Jenny said...

Thanks for the encouragement! Still wish I could fast forward to the surprise ending!

Stephanie Briggs said...

taking care of the lords babies takes faith and a selfless love...good job jen!

paynejandj said...

Jenny this was so beautifully powerfully put. I have read it several times, like usual.

marlenegetsmail said...

Most of us, at any cost, avoid heartach. Courage to face it is amazing. good luck. I want Ashley to have a chance so what ever is best. Love Mom