Monday, June 29, 2009

Quinceanera


My 14 year old Hispanic neighbor and I were talking about her up coming Quinceanera. She told me about some of the traditions. I personally like how she will wear Sandles to the party and then her Dad will exchange them for High Heals. She asked me about our 'sweet sixteen' traditions. Do we have any sweet sixteen traditions? I always thought it was just sweet sixteen because you had never been kissed by a boy and that was a good thing! Then when I turned sweet sixteen, my best friends teased me about it! Wait- I thought it was a good thing! :) I didn't have anything to tell her. So much for good old fashioned American traditions!
Her 15th birthday is in October so I have time to plan this one. Does anyone know what to give a girl on her Quinceanera? Liliana is really wonderful and always translated for me when I can't think of enough 7th grade Spanish. She has babysat in a pinch for me and is just a great girl to have next door. I would love to honor my neighbor's tradition with a thoughtfull (but inexpensive) gift. Any suggestions are much apprciated.
Gracias!

3 comments:

Kristy said...

Juan says if you really want to impress you buy the beer. Ha Ha! He can't think of anything specific. Just a regular birthday gift will do. He says they will probably just be really grateful if you come.

Jenny said...

would that be 'dos equis' or 'jose quervo'? OK, maybe just a regular gift. Thanks :)

paynejandj said...

I have been thinking about this for a long time believe it or not. I decided that what I would do is give her something that made me feel like a "woman". Now obviously there are a lot of things (don't let your mind wander) but one of them that made me feel grown up- like a woman- is a purse. It took me a long time to be able to use a purse. Maybe a purse doesn't work for you but what does make you feel like a you have grown, no longer a little girl?