Sunday, October 2, 2011

yeah!

Do you remember the feeling you got when you got your drivers license? I remember a little fluttering feeling deep down, an excitement with the knowledge that I could go ANYWHERE and do ANYTHING. Well, almost. But it was so exhilarating and free. The whole world was open to me.
Fast forward 20 years
My oldest son turned 12 this month and is a very capable babysitter. He loves the responsibility and is very diplomatic with his siblings when he's in charge. The other night, on what should have been my husband and my date night,my husband got called in to the Police Station for some PR work with the Town Council. He called me to join him. Since half the children were in bed asleep and my very capable 12 yr old was more than willing to stay up and babysit, I went.
Maybe it was because of the early 90's tune playing on the radio or the fact that I was in the car by myself. But I suddenly had that little fluttering feeling again. I had the freedom to go anywhere and do anything, almost. I was so excited with the possibilities opening up to me, I could hardly contain myself! So, there is light at the end of that long, noisy, sometimes very messy tunnel, and I'm here to tell you... it's exciting to see again.

7 comments:

paynejandj said...

We count down the years as we get closer to growing our own babysitter too. Congrats! You made it!

Marily said...

Haha, this is great. It will be a great day for sure. Enjoy!

Robinson Family said...

You could go anywhere and you chose to go to a Glbert Town Council meeting? Am I the only one that sees something wrong with this?

Pack of Robinsons said...

that anywhere meeting just happened to have my hot husband! and driving around to meet guys was the real reason for a drivers license anyway!

Anonymous said...

I sometimes still get excited to drive. I think to myself, "ya, I can drive a car like an adult".

Stephanie Briggs said...

hahahahahahahahahahahaha..im so jealous!

Molly Bice-Jackson said...

This gives me so much hope! And I'm still ten years away from that day.