Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Give me meatloaf on Tuesdays

My husband, Chris' job has crazy hours. I'm not alone in this. I have a good group of friends who deal with the same strange schedules and the same frustrations of working around their husbands work. I'm not good at being flexible, but I've learned to cope. Chris has a shift change once a year and I always gear up and try to glide smoothly into change as if I liked it. But lately he has all sorts of training and his day's and nights are never, NEVER the same. I schedule a play date and then he's there that day, I schedule to go out- and he has to leave for court! I save up projects for an evening to myself and my husband has that night off!
I love my husband, and I love that he is the bread winner so I can stay home with our children. I support what ever he needs to do and I try not to openly complain. But I need a constant! I'm trying to be that flexible woman who rolls with life, but I am not and I don't really want to be. I want to be the woman who has dinner on the table every night at 6:30 sharp- OK, maybe not her, but some where in between. I know I'm really just venting because I'm not handling this weeks crazyness well and I'm looking for an excuse. But I'm also hoping for a little sympathy here. Give me something more consistent than just poopy diapers, story time whenever bedtime actually happens and a solid trust in my husbands love. Or maybe that's enough.

3 comments:

Kristy said...

Jenny, sometimes that's all we have! Because of that, it has to be enough. Oh, but I know your pain! Someday... That is my hope and dream, that someday life will be structured and planned - or at least dinner will be. :) It makes me feel so much better to know I'm not in it alone. You always seem so together! Like you can handle everything thrown at you. Whether that is true or not, do know that you are looked up to for it. As Jack (I think it was him) once said - all the mom's want to be like you!

Kristyn said...

How cute was that last comment?!

I try to be like that as well - not with a crazy work schedule (although sometimes that is a pain for me too) but in other areas. Quite frankly I'm not good at just rolling with whatever happens. I like to know what's going to happen and exactly when it will happen. I've learned I'm much happier then. But oh well. I try to plan what I can. It sucks sometimes.

And if I lived close by still, I would totally come over and watch your kids so you could have some time to yourself for crafts!

paynejandj said...

I remember saying that to Jason once too... "if you have to work 7am to 7pm, fine. Just so I know that you will be home by 7:30." It is hard to have the crazy schedule and I know they think "don't worry about me, just do your thing." The problem is the thing I want to do is hang out with him whenever I can so it is hard when you don't exactly know WHEN that will be.

Hang in there.